My 6 and 7-year-olds recently finished using Smart Start in Language Arts Home Education Edition. I found that although it is a popular program where I live that there was very little information actually available on it online. Therefore, I decided to do a review of the curriculum in the hopes that this provides some clarity and answers for anyone considering it.
The program is designed for children in grade 1 and grade 2 and is written by JoAnne Moore. It is a complete language arts program meaning that it includes spelling, printing, creative writing, letter recognition, phonics, grammar, decoding, comprehension etc. Grade one is divided into 139 school days while grade 2 is divided into 175. Six to seven of these days are library days with six to twelve days focused on writing projects. There is an overview of the entire program day by day in each of the grade 1 and grade 2 workbooks. The complete program (so the 2 years worth) is about $250 CAD which is a very good price if you have multiple children who plan to use it.
- A large three-ring binder containing a consumable grade 1 workbook and a grade 2 workbook. The author does give permission for these books to be photocopied for other children in the same family.
- Grade 1 and Grade 2 teacher manuals (not shown in the picture above)
- 4 DVD’s which have the supporting puppet shows, I Spy pictures and other games and information on them
- Pencil & eraser
- Pencil crayons or regular crayons
- Glue stick
- A computer with DVD player
- Books from list for daily or bi-daily lessons (we used what our local library had)
- Books for independent reading (we used what we had at home as well as books from our local library)
- Hand puppet (we did not use one)
Below is a video which shows examples of what each day looks like as well as my thoughts on the curriculum and our experience with it.
Have you used this curriculum before? What did you think of it?